Basically a Search Engine is a software that runs to collect information from world wide web. When a person searches for a word or any information let’s say host department, the search engines collects all the information present in world wide web and displays the resulted information in an order, this page is referred as “Search Engine Results Page”. The collected results will be displayed according to word’s priority and then the ranking of the websites. Know its is a big question, How are rankings assigned to the websites?Answer is, based on “Search Engine Algorithms”. These search algorithms will vary from one search engine to another. There are many Search engines but the most used and popular search engines are Google, Yahoo, Bing.
Every search engine follows an algorithm to serve their best to the users. But why an algorithm? In earlier days there were no algorithms to collect the information. Any site which has more number of words that match with the user’s search word would be displayed first and like wise other sites in descending order would be displayed. But, later on the spammers, bots, virus and other attacks have increased due to which the search engines couldn’t result the appropriate sites related to the user’s search. In order to avoid all these Search Engines started making complex algorithms and give the users best and quality results which are called Search Engine Algorithms.
Some of the algorithms of Google search engine are:
- Penguin Algorithm is one of the many algorithms of google.
- Panda 4.0 was last updated on 14 May 2014.
- Pegion was last updated on 24 July 2014…….Etc
To know more about google algorithms click here : MOZ Blog
These are the algorithms that search engine follows and they vary for different streams. But now how can you make your website visible to search engine and people? This is the question through which most beginners keep along, for this there is a process called “Search Engine Optimization”
Search Engine Optimization is a process of making your website visible on search engine results page. This is a kind of online marketing technique. The main aim of SEO is obtaining a better rank for the website by which the website will be resulting in the first results page.
To improve website’s ranking there are many methods and techniques to improve ranking. At the same time there are some rules and guidelines for optimization. Based on this it is divided into two categories
- White Hat SEO
- Black Hat SEO.
White Hat SEO is that which follows and go along with SEO guidelines and rules, to increase the reputation and ranking of he website. By these techniques the result will be slow and takes longer time to improve ranking than Black Hat SEO techniques but will be long lasting and reputed. The White Hat SEO techniques include
On Page Factors: On Page optimization includes the activities that take place within the website’s pages itself.
- Meta Description tag
- ALT tags
- H1 tags
- URL structure
- Internal linking strategy
- Keyword density
- Site maps, both XML and user facing
- Usability and accessibility
- Track target keywords
- Keyword selection
Off Page Factors: Off Page Optimization includes the activities that takes place in another sites, for example : Link Building.
- Use Keywords in link anchor text
- Obtain links from high ranking publisher sites
- One-way inbound links
- Different keywords in your link-ads from the same site
- Gradual link building technology
- Use relevant keywords near your inbound link
- Deep linking
- Target a large list of keywords more than 500
- Link from sites with a variety of link ranks
- Track all active keywords and refine strategy as required
On Page VS Off Page (SEO):
In this new internet world just On Page Optimization is not sufficient for a better ranking. For better ranking first of all you need traffic to your website which is done by off page SEO. With the help of off page optimization factors like link building, in bound link helps you in getting traffic to your website. Once you get the traffic, for better user experience you need the help of On Page Optimization factors like quality and relevant content, give users a better experience by increasing the web pages fast loading time, short links and making it user-friendly which is all a part of On Page SEO.
There are more than 200 ranking factors that help in making website’s rank better.These include both on page and off page factors.
Black Hat SEO techniques are those which conflict or do not follow the SEO guidelines. These techniques are used to improve the ranking quickly in short period of time. By using these the techniques the ranking improves fast, it is unpredictable and the ranking may consistent for short term. Some of the tricks and techniques of Black Hat SEO are:
Content Spam Include :
- Keyword Stuffing
- Hidden Text
- Doorway Pages
- Scraper sites
- Article spinning
- Meta tag stuffing
Link Spam Include :
- Hidden links
- Sybil Attack
- Link building software
- Spam blogs
- Page hijacking
- Cookie Stuffing
- Spam Comment
- Purchasing expired domains.
- URL Redirection
- Mirror websites
By following the Black Hat SEO techniques the website may be banned and a penalty has to be paid.
Checklist for better ranking:
Checkout these 12 points for better ranking in short duration. It don’t say it will be a drastic change in ranking but will help in getting better.
- Front-load tag : Target keywords should be at the beginning of the title tag.
- Short url : Try to keep url as short as possible.
- Use Multimedia : In blogs use atleast one multimedia, for better user interaction.
- Use outbound links : Cover atleast one or two outbound links to any popular site in the content you publish.
- Target keywords in H1 : Always keep title in H1 tag and also the target words should be within first 100 word of the article.
- Loading Speed : You can check your site’s speed at “Google Page Speed” Here are few tips to speed up your website.
- Social Sharing buttons : These buttons are must as they make it easy for users to share the content and should be placed at the right place.
- Publish Long Content : Write relevant and long content for more than 1500 words which is considered as long article.
- Use LSI (Latent Semantic Indexing) keywords : LSI keywords are those words which are accompanied by the target keywords. For example “Stationary” is the target key word then LSI words would be “notebooks”,”pen”, “pencil” etc.
- Internal linking : When you are posting a new article try to have an internal link to the older articles related to that topic.
- Dwell Time : Write a long and interesting content for the users to keep on reading. That increases dwell time I.e, the time a user stays in the page till he click back button.
- Image optimization : The keyword’s images might bring you traffic through Google images, this is not much important but still why loose a chance.
Many would be wondering Is SEO necessary? Yes, especially if you are owning an e-commerce website as it is available only through online. You will need more customers for your business to get into next level, and obviously you need a better ranking for your website for search engine to show up your website in the results first page organically. Organic results are those results which are genuine and have better quality and reputation unlike paid marketing.
Online business is growing much faster and they rely on online users. So to attract them towards their site and get notified SEO is necessary. SEO will not only improve the site’s ranking but also divert traffic to the site from different sources present on internet. It improves small or big business with methods and tactics and also gives your company a ”brand” identification. SEO has methods for all types of businesses small or big, even methods for low and high budgets. But SEO is as an ongoing process, once you get a better ranking it doesn’t mean you should stop SEO process, it should be continued as ranking may cahnge any time as out there many competitors would be trying their best.
- Word Stream – It provides many ideas of keywords.
- Convert word document to Clean HTML – It is a converting tool, the documents created in MS office and other word softwares will be converted to HTML.
- Copyscape – This tool checks for copy pages.
- Xenu’s link Sleuth – This tool helps in identifying broken links and also validates for images, videos, texts etc.
- Title and description Optimization tool – This tools gives insight of what competitors are using as titles and descriptions.
- Image SEO tool – This tool chesk for the images and gives an alert, if any potentials arise.
- Google Snippet Preview - This tool gives a preview about how the website is visualized and optimized by the users.
- Pingdom Speed test – This is another tool which checks the speed of the website.
- Fiddler – It is a debugging tool that logs HTTP traffic between internet and computer.
- Microsoft free SEO Toolkit – This tool kit is a full SEO audit with the complete reports.
For more free SEO Tools Click moz blog 100 free seo tools
With so many tools and methods, SEO has rocked in online marketing with the best organic results and serving the users appropriately. It is also helping the relevant websites to provide quality service to users.